Monday, November 30, 2015

The Straw that Broke the Camel's Back

It's safe to say that I've failed miserably at posting daily pictures of the garage.  With Thanksgiving and some family issues, life has taken priority over blogging.  We were warned when embarking on this venture that a major renovation is a huge stress.  I would add that it is compounded several-fold when you don't click with your builder.  We got off to a bumpy start, but tried to soldier along because I REALLY wanted out of the apartment so we could begin our lives in the garage.  In hindsight (isn't hindsight great?) that was a mistake.
Over the summer I went to Home Depot and priced out the kitchen using KraftMaid cabinetry.  I had a price and the quote was saved in their system awaiting my deposit and go ahead.  I showed the estimate and picture to the builder and he said that he could build me the same kitchen at a competitive price, provided that the cabinets be painted, which I wanted anyway.  At one point we met in the main house while I was waiting for a repairman and I showed the builder the cabinets there, which I loved.  Raised panel, sharp corners, etc.  I asked again if he could do that and he said, 'yes.' In a separate meeting Scott asked again and he said he could do it.  We asked him several times over a period of weeks if he could build the kitchen at a competitive price with the squared corners to the point he probably thought we were crazy, and he always said he could.
Fast forward to when the guys actually started building the kitchen.  The labor alone has already exceeded the cost of the Home Depot quote.  They finally reached the cabinet fronts last Wednesday.  Scott decided to forgo family Thanksgiving to get some work done at the garage and supervise.  THANK GOODNESS.  In the afternoon, after hours in the car, Scott texted me this picture:
Clearly, the builder was not able to give me the squared corners he'd been promising for weeks.  Nor, apparently, was he able to go in a straight line on the bottom.  After doing this one, Scott quickly stopped the process and told the builder that this was unacceptable.  After the long weekend, the builder told us today that he would have to go off site for a week to complete the cabinet fronts we asked for.  This was unacceptable to us.  Honestly, I can't tell you how betrayed I feel knowing that he looked at me for weeks and lied to my face about 1. how much it would cost and 2. his ability to build what we wanted.  The utter lack of respect for us and our money is too much to bear.
After a culmination of mistakes and non-communication, which I will detail in another post dedicated to a review of his company, we have simply lost confidence in his ability to complete any further work, regardless of its complexity.  Luckily, we're almost fully functional, if not 'finished.' We will scramble to get the place tiled, the window installed and shelving installed in all the cabinets and then probably move into an unfinished space, which everyone warned us not to do.  At this point the idea of living in an unfinished space is far more tolerable than paying the builder even a single cent.

No comments:

Post a Comment