Sunday, November 1, 2015

The Color Palette


Now that all the mechanicals are done and inspected, the sheet rock is going up.  This means that choices, such as paint color, aren't far off.  When we lived in the suburbs we repainted most of the interior.  The best thing that Scott did to help the process was encourage me to get as many samples as it took to get to the right color.  And get a lot of samples, I did.  I painted them on the wall, painted some on poster board, moved them around, checked them at different times of the day, checked them against each other...  You get the idea.  When the selections were made and the painter came, I was really happy with my choices.  
I have a lot of anxiety about choosing the colors for the garage because a) we don't live there b) it's really hard to go there at different times of day to check the colors c) there's a huge window yet to be installed that will make a difference.  Many people say that it's just paint and if I get it wrong, it's not a huge deal to change later.  I get that, but I also know that it's expensive to hire a painter and if I get these wrong, I'm just going to have to live with it.  Luckily, one of the designers we used is really good at this sort of thing.  I got into contact with her and she arrived Friday afternoon to help me choose the colors which will go up next week.  Eek!
I had absolutely no preconceived notions of what I wanted.  Because it's a small space we knew we had to stay light and I did want neutral.  Our granite sample went missing, but we did have the backsplash, floor sample and the pillow sham from the bedroom to use.  That was enough.  In 90 minutes, I had the colors (and some to try against each other) for each space, nook, and cranny.  Without further ado, here's where we landed.
Sorry about the shadow, but this lets you know where we are.  Repose Gray will be the main color.  It's very light, but will work well with the others.  Eider White will be the trim color, as well as the kitchen cabinets.  It may also be the color for the storage wall, I haven't figured that out yet.  The aqua color is Aqueduct and will be used on two walls in the bathroom as accent walls.  It is lovely and peaceful and calming.  I hope that it looks as good on a wall.  I would've been open to a darker, bolder color in the bathroom, but with it being so small and so dark, we knew we needed to stay light.  
There's all my talk of light colors, so what are the purples doing there?  One of these will be our outside door color.  They're both on paper so I can take them over to the garage to decide.  I also want to paint a few of the interior doors and we have some selections, but we decided to wait until after we moved in so I could do it and forgo the labor charge.  While I was with her, I was also able to shoot a bunch of easy to answer design questions at her.  For 90 minutes and $40, I can easily say that was the best money I've spent in a long time.  

No comments:

Post a Comment