Saturday, October 3, 2015

The Builder's Advice/ 3 Doors In

When he first came to the garage the builder told me that we were looking at a 6-7 week project.  He did warn me that his timing estimate would rest on one thing: my ability to make decisions.  The way this pacing works is that we will always be thinking 5 days out.  Example: next week the kitchen will go in; what type of cabinet fronts, hardware, etc do I want.  I appreciate this and will abide by this, except I think I may have already messed it up.
Having priced windows at different places all summer, I knew there was a lag time.  Our builder recommended a place and once our start date was confirmed, I made the appointment to order the windows.  That part wasn't so bad.  After having thought through it with so many other places, I pretty much knew exactly what I wanted (double hung for the bedroom, slider for the bathroom, casement for the kitchen and cheapest for the loft).  We played with the sizing to get to standard (i.e. cheap) sizes wherever possible and determined that it would be way cheaper for me to use the frosting film in the bathroom rather than buy the window with frosted glass.  I took the estimate to historic to get it approved and was able to put in the order.  There was a four week wait for delivery-which should happen this week- putting them in right on time for day 1.
The builder also wanted to install the exterior door on day one.  One of the people at the window shop told me that there was only a one week wait for the doors, so I thought I had plenty of time.  This was a good thing because I've been really struggling with the doors.  It's a really old picture, but our existing doors have a raised panel on the bottom, like this:
At the time the garage was built we knew that we wanted the glass on top and I never gave any thought to the doors- the contractor just picked them out and that's what we got.  I liked it that way.  Wanting to be consistent, I just assumed that the rest of our doors (2 interior and 1 exterior) would also have this raised panel look.


Except I really didn't love that look and was really hesitant about ordering doors in that style.  Between kitchen cabinets with raised panels, doors and the storage wall with door design tbd, it just made me nervous that it would be a whole lot of raised panel in a little space.  I couldn't order it.  I checked out people's doors wherever I went and decided that I still liked the shape, but wanted a flat panel instead, like this:
It seemed cleaner to me and a good compromise between traditional and modern, which is what we're going for.  And yet, I still don't love this design for an exterior door.  I really hemmed and hawed and finally decided that we would get a 4 panel door with the transom on top, just like our front door (except steel instead of wood).
Even with building approaching I still hadn't ordered the doors, which wound up being a really good thing because we realized that the space is too little to accommodate an exterior door, transom and the necessary header.  Back to the drawing board and building is due to commence on Monday.  Oops.
I frantically looked through catalogues and the lead time on ordering doors was 4-6 weeks, not 1 week like I was initially told. I talked with the builder and the plan is to install a dummy door until ours arrives.  We decided that we wanted to mimic the transom in the window and decided on this door.
Last night we thought we'd take a chance on Home Depot and see what they could do.  We wanted this door, but in steel.  It was about $540 and would take 2-3 weeks.  That was more than we wanted to spend.  When we looked at their in stock doors we found this one.
It's a fiberglass door and while it doesn't exactly set my heart on fire, I can't find one that does so we're going to go with a good door for a great price ($240) on this one.  Because it's in stock, we'll actually be ready for construction next week! We'll also save money on not having to install a dummy door.  
Because this door will be facing the alley and because our neighborhood has some safety issues, I'm already thinking of ways to cover the glass.  Currently a window film like this is in the lead.
The window faces East and I think it'd be beautiful to come out to these marks on my floor in the mornings.
While I wasn't able to make a quick decision on this, and while I'm not thrilled that I'm about to have 3 different door designs in a really small space, I'm happy with each individual decision and have peace (just don't ever judge me if you come to visit).  I'm even more happy that we'll be able to proceed with the doors.
Unfortunately, the other thing that our builder wanted to start with was floors.  Months ago we had a plan drawn up for radiant flooring with a detailed list of what we would need.  This was when we were going to have engineered wood flooring.  Apparently the switch to tile floor had consequences.  The existing radiant plan called for plywood over the top and Scott doesn't feel that it will be stable enough to support tile.  After many late nights up researching on his part, he decided to switch to electric mats instead of tubing.  This will be easier, but apparently you can't just buy a big mat and cut it down to size.  So, this week he had to take very detailed measurements to send off to a new company so the floor can be manufactured to size.  Luckily, it can be done quickly but it still won't arrive until the end of the week at the earliest.  In the meantime, we scored some cork underlayment which will act as an insulator for a steal at Home Depot.  Unfortunately, HD doesn't carry the adhesive and all the local distributors say they don't carry it in stock.  It'll be the middle of the week before we can get that and have it ready to go.
Since we seemed to have botched up the beginning of the build so badly (kind of) I'm really looking forward to a timeline of what needs to be purchased when, mostly so I know the order in which I need to freak out shop for the different design elements. I'm also looking forward to turning over some of these shopping duties.  Remember when I said our old builder just took what we wanted and ran with it?  Yeah, I miss those days.

No comments:

Post a Comment